Stetson University is a well known private school in Deland, Florida, but I had no idea about the man John Stetson, his legacy or his luxury mansion. Not only did I have a fantastic time touring this amazing private home, the history I learned gave me an appreciation for the philanthropic man behind the hat!
The tour was led by one of the current owners, JT Thompson, his enthusiasm about the home was contagious! This home is renowned for having 10 of the nation’s most rare and intricate parquet wood floor patterns, 10,000 panes of leaded glass windows and a fully up to date infrastructure.
My favorite features of this mansion:
- Wood molding, wainscoting and detailing
- The stained glass/leaded glass windows
- The parquet floors
- Rounded doorways and Archways
Stetson Mansion Quick Facts:
- The roughly 10,000 sq ft, 3 story home was designed by architect George T. Pearson and built in 1886 on Mr. Stetson’s property in Deland, FL, which at that time, was comprised of 300 acres
- The Stetson Mansion is available for select events, parties, weddings, luncheons and seminars. All events greater than 25 people are held outside.
- They do tours: Standard, Grand, Christmas, “A Tour & Tea.” Reservations are required for all tours.
Our special tour was filled with giveaways, yummy food and swag bags!!! I actually won a gift package that I will be giving away to one lucky reader very soon! So much creativity and hard work was put into creating an amazing tour experience (Thank You JT Thompson, Dena Scroggins, Bill & Frank’s Brickhouse Grill, Edson Pacheco, and Madga Hiller)!
Whether you live in Florida or not, this gem is worth a visit! And if you live close by, what a great place to host an event; it’s less than an hour’s drive from Orlando!